Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Lesson I Learned From Pistachios

The Lesson I Learned From Pistachios
Written by Amanda Hawkins


    Yesterday evening as Dominic and I sat in our regular recliners in the living room, I learned something.
     Dominic was eating Pistachios, which are one of my favorite nuts. I did not ask him for any, because it would have been rude to do so, considering I had eaten a whole bag of them by myself just days before.
     We sat for a little while watching a movie that wasn't very good. I was cuddled up, and Dominic tossed Pistachio shells onto my blanket that was stretched across my lap forming a hammock shape. 
     I was upset by his action, and just as I opened my mouth to scold him for throwing empty shells on my lap, I realized that the shells he had thrown were not empty. He had given me five Pistachios. 
     "Thank you honey." I replied, ashamed of my split second of anger.
     That's when I thought to myself, what if they were just shells? What would I have said? Something along these lines: 'Why would you do that? You could've just got up and thrown them away, now I have shells all over my blanket.' No doubt I would've said it in a whiny and frustrated voice as I scooped the trash into my hand and shook the rest of the blanket off onto the floor. 
     My husband didn't give me the chance to act bitter. Instead I felt guilty for being angry even for a second. 
     That's when I realized that even if it was just empty shells, is that something to be upset about? Empty shells should be just as much of a gift as full shells. It would've given me an opportunity to help my husband. It would've given me an opportunity to react in a gracious way, rather than with a snotty attitude. 
     I know now, the next time my husband leaves dirty clothes on the floor, or gives me trash to throw away, or hands me a dish to wash, I will accept with joy, because it is just as good of a gift to me as a handful of Pistachios, and sometimes he surprises me and gives me that as well.
     As a wife, I am supposed to be a helper and a best friend to my hubby. If I would've reacted in a negative way, I wouldn't have been fulfilling any of my purpose as Dominic's wife. 
     I am grateful to be my husbands help, to take his Pistachio shells to the trash for him, to wash his clothes and dishes, to give him foot rubs after work every night when his feet hurt, and to be his best friend who he chooses to share those Pistachios with. The Lord has blessed me with a wonderful companion, and there is no reason I should be upset by doing things for him. That is the lesson I learned. 
     PS. Thank you for the Pistachios honey. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life...." -- Proverbs 31:10-12

"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her."-- Proverbs 31:27-28

2 comments:

  1. Very beautiful, and very true. Remember it's like the hair in the sink....what if tomorrow the sink was always clean because your husband wasn't there. I'll take the empty pistachios, hairy sinks, or dirty clothes, they are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments